Habits change, Risks don't!! The ST1 Course is a two-day avalanche course. You will learn about the ISTA philosophy and discover basic backcountry risk prevention. You will also be introduced to the scope of skills required to stay safe in the mountains. The main goal is to inspire you to continue learning.
ISTA is the first international, progressive avalanche awareness training program for backcountry enthusiasts. Our courses have been developed by over 40 Experts from 9 countries and 3 continents. Develop your snow knowledge through progressive training courses, keep freedom, and boost off piste pleasure and safety.
The ISTA teaching method is accessible to all and designed to allow individuals to progress through various levels with certification. The training method is human-centered and combines theory with practice.
International expertise united
Courses have been developed by over 40 Experts from 9 countries and 3 continents. These experts are specialists from Education, Sport Psychology, Pedagogy, Knowledge Transmission, Nutrition, Meteorology, Snow Science, Risk Management, Research Methods, Snow Professionals and Mountain Guides, all of whom share a common passion for the mountains. All courses are exclusively taught by ISTA-certified national ski instructors and by IFMGA mountain guides.
Striking course material, Exclusive benefits
All ISTA courses are supported by illustrated books and procedures. They contain simple, clear and hands-on explanations, available in 4 languages: English, French, German and Italian.
Successful participants receive the exclusive ISTA membership card and a reward booklet providing access to special offers within the tourism and the sports gear industry.
Power to share and connect
ISTA aims to foster knowledge sharing, exchange and the development of an international community. The ISTA community is a place where every member can get answers and advice from experts from all over the world, where they can not only share and celebrate their experiences, but also provide guidance to other participants.
Who should take this course?
Are you a snow sports enthusiast with some backcountry experience? Do you have an understanding of the risks involved and wish to increase your safety, freedom and pleasure in the mountains? Master the entire risk management process and understand the extensive knowledge needed for backcountry recreation.
ST1 is the entry-level course of ISTA’s progressive Snow Training courses. During two days, you will acquire fundamental skills and basic knowledge required to carry out the risk management process, implement rescue procedures and use rescue equipment.
At the end of the course, you will be able with the help of the course your manual, to implement the risk assessment process, identify favorable and unfavorable terrain, implement the avalanche rescue procedure and effectively use rescue gear. Placed in a trusted environment, you will be motivated to progress.
Both days are an exciting combination of theory and practical workshops:
- Each day is structured like a typical day in the mountains. On the morning of the first day, you will learn about the ISTA method and how to assess your mind and body thanks to the HFSA® system. You will also discover how to identify favorable and unfavorable elements in the environment and recognize the resulting risk factors. The afternoon covers knowledge necessary to identify safe terrain and how to communicate and travel in backcountry. You will also learn how to use rescue gear and implement the avalanche rescue procedure.
- The second day follows a similar structure and will allow you to assimilate the risk management process and reinforce your skills.
19 - 20 Jan
3 - 4 Feb
2 - 3 Mar
- UIAGM / IFMGA mountain guide for 2 days
- ISTA Training Kit
- ISTA Vouchers
What's not included:
- Drinks, snacks and pic nic
- Personal safety equipment: avalanche transceiver, probe and shovel (please contact us if you don't have one of these)
- Ski equipment
- Ski pass (we can provide/include the ski pass if needed)
- Accommodation & diners in Chamonix (we can help you if you need)
- Transfers to & from Chamonix (we can help you if you need)
- Personnel insurance (cancellation and repatriation)
- Everything that is not in the "what's included" section
10 reasons to take your ISTA course
- ISTA allows you to manage risk rather than rely on equipment, thereby increasing enjoyment, safety and freedom in the mountains.
- Avalanches are not a fatality. Practitioners change, habits change – risks don’t. ISTA is the new essential approach to managing them.
- ISTA is an international program that uses a standard universal language.
- ISTA enables you to be proactive – to focus on prevention (BEFORE) rather than reparation (AFTER).
- ISTA courses were developed by 40 experts spanning 3 continents and 9 countries in the areas of education, snow science, social sciences, research methods, rescue, communication, marketing and management, as well as IFMGA and AIARE mountain guides and ski school directors, all of whom share a common passion for the mountains.
- ISTA allows you to progress through various levels with a standardized method that is adapted to every skill level.
- ISTA helps you better understand your physical and mental state, as well as your natural environment, through the use of newly developed tools (HFSA).
- All ISTA courses are supported by illustrated books featuring simple, clear, precise and playful descriptions. All course materials are available in 4 languages (EN, FR, DE, IT).
- ISTA aims to foster knowledge sharing, exchange and the development of an international community. The ISTA community is an international network of professionals and amateurs who share a passion for winter sports, the mountains and powder.
- All ISTA-certified participants benefit from the ISTA rewards program and its exclusive offers on travel, equipment and tourism services.