Habits change, Risks don't!! The DISCOVERY course is a one-day initiation to the ISTA program. You will learn about the ISTA philosophy and discover basic backcountry risk prevention. You will also be introduced to the scope of skills required to stay safe in the mountains. The main goal is to inspire you to continue learning.
ISTA is the first international, progressive avalanche awareness training program for backcountry enthusiasts. Our courses have been developed by over 40 Experts from 9 countries and 3 continents. Develop your snow knowledge through progressive training courses, keep freedom, and boost off piste pleasure and safety.
Habits change, risks don’t
Despite the wide range of rescue gear available, risks related to avalanches don’t diminish. ISTA is the new essential approach to managing them. Your most valuable safety tool is your mind!
Progressive certification, universal language
The ISTA teaching method is accessible to all and designed to allow individuals to progress through various levels with certification. The training method is human-centered and combines theory with practice.
International expertise united
Courses have been developed by over 40 Experts from 9 countries and 3 continents. These experts are specialists from Education, Sport Psychology, Pedagogy, Knowledge Transmission, Nutrition, Meteorology, Snow Science, Risk Management, Research Methods, Snow Professionals and Mountain Guides, all of whom share a common passion for the mountains. All courses are exclusively taught by ISTA-certified national ski instructors and by IFMGA mountain guides.
Striking course material, Exclusive benefits
All ISTA courses are supported by illustrated books and procedures. They contain simple, clear and hands-on explanations, available in 4 languages: English, French, German and Italian.
Successful participants receive the exclusive ISTA membership card and a reward booklet providing access to special offers within the tourism and the sports gear industry.
Power to share and connect
ISTA aims to foster knowledge sharing, exchange and the development of an international community. The ISTA community is a place where every member can get answers and advice from experts from all over the world, where they can not only share and celebrate their experiences, but also provide guidance to other participants.
The DISCOVERY course is a one-day initiation to the ISTA program. You will learn about the ISTA philosophy and discover basic backcountry risk prevention. You will also be introduced to the scope of skills required to stay safe in the mountains. The main goal is to inspire you to continue learning.
At the end of the course, you will be able to follow the entire risk assessment process with the help of your manual.
The course structure is based on a typical day in the mountains. From the first contact with the group to the debrief at the end of the day, you will easily be able to follow every step of the scenario as it unfolds.
The entire day is fun combination of theory and practical workshops:
The course starts with a breakdown of the ISTA method, the individual and the environment, and resulting risk factors.
Risk assessment, identification and travel on safe terrain are covered in the afternoon.
At the end of the day, you will learn how to manage a crisis situation and search for avalanche burial victims.
Meeting with your guide at 8.30am for the briefing at La Folie Douce hotel for a "coffee briefing" in Chamonix:
Your day will follow the program below:
6 Jan 2020
18 Jan 2020 / Safety Days
2 Feb 2020 / Safety Days
15 Feb 2020
27 Feb 2020 / Safety Days
7 Mar 2020
14 Mar 2020
- UIAGM / IFMGA mountain guide
- ISTA Training Kit
- ISTA Vouchers
What's not included:
- Drinks, snacks and pic nic
- Personal safety equipment: avalanche transceiver, probe and shovel (please contact us if you don't have one of these)
- Ski equipment
- Ski pass (we can provide/include the ski pass if needed)
- Personnel insurance (cancellation and repatriation)
- Everthing that is not in the "what's included" section
Xavier De Le Rue, legendary snowboarder, multiple Freeride World Tour winner and former cross world champion shares the importance of education. Thanks Xav!
10 reasons to take your ISTA course
- ISTA allows you to manage risk rather than rely on equipment, thereby increasing enjoyment, safety and freedom in the mountains.
- Avalanches are not a fatality. Practitioners change, habits change – risks don’t. ISTA is the new essential approach to managing them.
- ISTA is an international program that uses a standard universal language.
- ISTA enables you to be proactive – to focus on prevention (BEFORE) rather than reparation (AFTER).
- ISTA courses were developed by 40 experts spanning 3 continents and 9 countries in the areas of education, snow science, social sciences, research methods, rescue, communication, marketing and management, as well as IFMGA and AIARE mountain guides and ski school directors, all of whom share a common passion for the mountains.
- ISTA allows you to progress through various levels with a standardized method that is adapted to every skill level.
- ISTA helps you better understand your physical and mental state, as well as your natural environment, through the use of newly developed tools (HFSA).
- All ISTA courses are supported by illustrated books featuring simple, clear, precise and playful descriptions. All course materials are available in 4 languages (EN, FR, DE, IT).
- ISTA aims to foster knowledge sharing, exchange and the development of an international community. The ISTA community is an international network of professionals and amateurs who share a passion for winter sports, the mountains and powder.
- All ISTA-certified participants benefit from the ISTA rewards program and its exclusive offers on travel, equipment and tourism services.